Assignment: Global Health Topic For Publication
Assignment: Global Health Topic For Publication
Develop a 6–8 page, APA-formatted article on a global health topic for publication. Describe the factors that impact health and health care delivery, and the interventions that have been implemented. Explain the influence of altruism on global health, and identify evidence-based interventions to address the global health topic.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Explain the factors that affect the health of communities.
- (IMPORTANT) -Describe the factors that impact health and health care delivery associated with a global health care issue.
- (IMPORTANT) -Explain the influence of altruistic organizations on health and health care practices associated with a global health care issue.
- (IMPORTANT) -Explain how health care decisions and practices at a local level relate to health and health care delivery on a global scale.
- Competency 2: Apply evidence-based interventions to promote health and disease prevention and respond to community health issues.
- (IMPORTANT) -Describe interventions implemented to address a global health care issue.
- (IMPORTANT) -Identify evidence-based interventions to promote wellness and disease prevention associated with a global health care issue.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations of a nursing professional.
- (IMPORTANT) -Provide background information and statistics on a global health care issue.
- (IMPORTANT) -Write content clearly and logically with correct use of grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
- (IMPORTANT) -Correctly format paper, citations, and references, using current APA style.
Suppose you have been asked to submit an article for publication in your organization’s newsletter, about a global health topic and how policies and practices at the local level can affect global health. Choose one global health topic from the list (or use another of your choice):
- Mental health.
- Communicable diseases (HIV/AIDS, influenza, malaria, tuberculosis).
- Non-communicable diseases (cancer, lung, and heart disease).
- Maternal and child health (prenatal care, midwife education, childhood vaccinations).
- LGBT health.
- Global water supply and safety (GlobalHealth.gov, n.d.).
Look in the Capella library and on the Internet for very recent peer-reviewed articles, statistics, and professional nursing information on the global health topic you selected.
For this assessment, develop an APA-formatted research review article that covers one global health topic of your choice. In this assessment:
- Identify your topic. Provide background information and statistics on the topic, including the global areas most affected by the topic and the types of health care issues most often associated with the topic.
- Describe the factors that impact health and health care delivery in the global areas most affected by the topic you selected. These factors may include not only culture and tradition, but also politics, economics, and social attitude.
- Explain the influence of altruistic organizations (Peace Corps, Project Hope, religious and non-religious missions, and so on) on health and health care practices in the global area specifically associated with the topic.
- Describe the interventions implemented to address the health care issues associated with the topic. Include both conventional and unconventional interventions.
- Explain how the health care decisions and practices at the local level (the area most impacted by the topic) relate to health and health care delivery in other global areas. This is not limited only to best practices, but could include poor health care decisions and practices.
- Identify evidence-based interventions that are effective, efficient, cost-effective, and equitable for promoting wellness and disease prevention in the specific area and population.
Health systems analyses are touted as mechanisms through which health policy and planning may be implemented. An example is the WHO health systems approach that connects people (needs, rights, perspectives) with services and technologies (equitable access, quality of care, mix of interventions) and with policies and institutional capacities (laws, regulations, human/physical resources, management and financing). The approach is comprehensive and multi-faceted, which is a strength. We argue, however, that health systems analyses should be supplemented with a focus on reproductive justice. Using the WHO health systems approach as an exemplar, we show how the reparative reproductive justice approach outlined by the first author and colleagues assists with outlining comprehensive remedies to the inequities identified in the systems analysis. We argue for attention to remedies at individual and collective, material and symbolic levels. We illustrate our argument using unsafe abortion, legal abortion services and post-abortion care in Lesotho as a case study. We outline the policies, services and people components of abortion in Lesotho using the WHO systems model, followed by a reparative justice analysis of remedies.
Leave a Reply