DeVry nr 361: Week 4: Information Systems Paper Information Systems in Healthcare Paper
The purpose of this assignment is to select a topic related
to information systems in healthcare from the list provided, research and
analyze the topic, and describe how you will apply your newfound knowledge to
your nursing practice.
This assignment enables the student to meet one or more of
the following Course Outcomes depending upon the topic selected:
CO#1: Describe patient-care technologies as appropriate to
address the needs of a diverse patient population. (PO#1)
CO#2: Analyze data from all relevant sources, including
technology, to inform the delivery of care. (PO#2)
CO#3: Define standardized terminology that reflects
nursing’s unique contribution to patient outcomes. (PO#3)
CO#4: Investigate safeguards and decision-making support
tools embedded in patient care technologies and information systems to support
a safe practice environment for both patients and healthcare workers. (PO#4)
CO#5: Identify patient care technologies, information
systems, and communication devices that support safe nursing practice. (PO#5)
CO#6: Discuss the principles of data integrity, professional
ethics, and legal requirements related to data security, regulatory
requirements, confidentiality, and client’s right to privacy. (PO#6)
CO#7: Examine the use of information systems to document
interventions related to achieving nurse sensitive outcomes. (PO#7)
CO#8: Discuss the value of best evidence as a driving force
to institute change in delivery of nursing care. (PO#8)
Your completed paper is due at the end of Week 4. Submit by
Sunday at 11:59 p.m. MT. Post your questions to the Q & A Forum. Contact
your instructor if you need additional assistance. See the Course Policies
regarding late assignments and academic integrity. Failure to submit your paper
on time will result in a deduction of points.
Click to download the NR361 Information Systems Paper Rubric
(Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
Select ONE of these topics for the focus of your paper:
Standard terminologies (CO3, CO8)
Click here to ORDER an A++ paper from our Verified MASTERS and DOCTORATE WRITERS: DeVry nr 361: Week 4: Information Systems Paper Information Systems in Healthcare Paper
Decision-making support tools (CO4, CO8)
Patient education technology (CO5, CO8)
Data integrity, legal and ethical implications (CO7, CO8)
You are to research, analyze, and write an APA-formatted
scholarly paper about the topic that you have selected.
Write an introduction that defines and describes the topic.
Address what purpose the topic serves and how it impacts the delivery of
healthcare in general, and nursing care in particular. Keep in mind that APA
guidelines state you are not to use the heading of “Introduction,”
but you should include it at the beginning of your paper.
Search for scholarly sources and relevant websites. Include
a minimum of two scholarly sources. The course textbook does not qualify as a
scholarly source. Cite all sources in the body of the paper and include them in
the References list following proper APA formatting.
Provide one example of this topic. Describe the main
features or aspects of the example with support from your sources.
Describe an experience where the topic impacted you personally,
either when you were receiving health care, or when you were providing nursing
care. Relate one positive aspect or one negative aspect of this experience and
how it could have been improved.
Write a conclusion that summarizes the topic, purpose and how
your newfound insight will influence your nursing care.
Use Microsoft Word to develop your paper. Use APA
formatting. Refer to the Publication manual of the APA, 6th edition. Review the
various APA documents included in this course and the Chamberlain Care Student
Success Strategies (CCSSS) that can help you with your writing. Take advantage
of the tutoring services that are available to Chamberlain students for free.
The length of the paper should be a maximum of 4-5 pages,
excluding the title page and the reference page. There should only be one small
quote maximum in the paper. Citations should primarily include summary and
Criteria for Content
- Scholarliness: In this category, the student will conduct a search of the current databases and locate valid, relevant, and reliable information for the required topic. Each reference must be scholarly.
- Application of Course Knowledge: In this category, the student demonstrates the ability to analyze and apply principles, knowledge, and information learned in the course lesson and outside readings. This information is then applied to a real-life professional situation as an example.
- Interactive Dialogue: In this category, the minimum requirements are to provide an initial posting to the graded threaded discussion topic by Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT of each week. In addition, one peer response and one instructor response are required. These postings must be completed by Sunday, 11:59 pm MT of each week. The initial posting, peer response, and instructor response must be on 3 separate days.
- Grammar, Syntax, APA: Proper grammar, APA, and syntax is required for all posts. Students should follow the APA Manual 6th Edition. Additional APA information is available in Course Resources.
- Participation Requirement: One initial posting, one peer response and one instructor response (for a total of 3 posts for the week) are required on 3 separate days.
- Participation Deadline: The student must provide a substantive response to the graded threaded discussion topic. This must be posted by Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT of each week. Peer and instructor responses must be posted by Sunday, 11:59 pm MT.
- For week 8 only: the required postings are amended due to the shorter week. Two posts are required. One initial post and either a peer response or an instructor response. Initial post must be a minimum of 200 words and the peer or instructor response must be a minimum of 100 words. Both posts are required to be on two separate days. All posts must be made by Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT.
Criteria for Format and Special Instructions
- Instructor reserves the right to submit any threaded discussion posting to TurnItIn in order to verify the originality.
- When journals are used as the outside source of information, it is preferred that the journal be peer reviewed. The Chamberlain online librarian is very helpful in assisting you to find an article related to your topic. If you have questions concerning scholarly sources, please refer to the handout entitled “What is a scholarly source” located under “Course Resources” tab.
- Web sites vary in quality and scholarship. It is the responsibility of the student to determine the scholarly nature of the web site. If the instructor determines that the site failed to demonstrate scholarship, points maybe deducted. Students are cautioned to use care regarding .com sites. Some .com sites are excellent such as American Heart Association, but others are built by individuals and scholarliness is lacking. It is recommended that you check with your instructor before using a .com website as a reference.
- Only one small quote (15 words or less) within the entire initial posting is acceptable. It is expected that the student will paraphrase the information when presenting information from a scholarly source. The scholarly source(s) for the paraphrased information must be cited using APA format. Do not include a number of small quotes even if they are just a few words as your instructor considers a quote to be a quote no matter its limited size.