NR 361: Week 4- Information Systems Paper
Week 4: Information Systems Paper
Information Systems in Healthcare Paper Guidelines (graded, 200 points)
The purpose of this assignment is to select a topic related to information systems in healthcare from the list provided, research and analyze the topic, and describe how you will apply your newfound knowledge to your nursing practice.
This assignment enables the student to meet one or more of the following Course Outcomes depending on the topic selected.
CO 1: Describe patient-care technologies as appropriate to address the needs of a diverse patient population. (PO 1)
CO 2: Analyze data from all relevant sources, including technology, to inform the delivery of care. (PO 2)
CO 3: Define standardized terminology that reflects nursing’s unique contribution to patient outcomes. (PO 3)
CO 4: Investigate safeguards and decision-making support tools embedded in patient care technologies and information systems to support a safe practice environment for both patients and healthcare workers. (PO 4)
CO 5: Identify patient care technologies, information systems, and communication devices that support safe nursing practice. (PO 5)
CO 6: Discuss the principles of data integrity, professional ethics, and legal requirements related to data security, regulatory requirements, confidentiality, and client’s right to privacy. (PO 6)
CO 7: Examine the use of information systems to document interventions related to achieving nurse sensitive outcomes. (PO 7)
CO 8: Discuss the value of best evidence as a driving force to institute change in delivery of nursing care. (PO 8)
This assignment is worth a total of 200 points.
Click to download the NR361 Information Systems Paper Rubric (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
Your completed paper is due in Week 4. Be sure to submit your assignment. Post your questions to the Q & A Forum. Contact your instructor if you need additional assistance. See the Course Policies regarding late assignments and academic integrity. Failure to submit your paper on time will result in a deduction of points.
Select one of these topics for the focus of your paper.
Personal Health Records (CO5, CO6, CO8)
Usability, Integration, and Interoperability in Healthcare Technology (CO2, CO3, CO6)
You are to research, analyze, and write an APA-formattedscholarly paper on ONE topic from the two choices listed below. Once selected, please click on the link next to the topic to download an APA template to complete your paper.
Personal Health Records (APA template) (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (CO5, CO6, CO8) OR
Usability, Integration, and Interoperability in Healthcare Technology (APA template) (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (CO2, CO3, CO6)
Use the template to write an introduction that defines and describes the topic. Address what purpose the topic serves and how it impacts the delivery of healthcare in general and nursing care in particular.
Search for scholarly sources and relevant websites. Include a minimum of two scholarly sources. The course textbook does not qualify as a scholarly source. Cite all sources in the body of the paper and include them in the References list following proper APA formatting.
Provide one example of this topic. Describe the main features or aspects of the example with support from your sources.
Describe an experience where the topic impacted you personally, either when you were receiving healthcare or when you were providing nursing care.Relate one positive aspect or one negative aspect of this experience and how it could have been improved.
Write a conclusion that summarizes the topic, the purpose, and how your newfound insight will influence your nursing care.
Use one of the APA templates above to develop your paper. Use APA formatting. Refer to the Publication manual of the APA, sixth edition. Review the various APA documents included in this course and the SSPRNBSN Student Success course that can help you with your writing. Take advantage of the tutoring services that are available to Chamberlain students for free.
The length of the paper should be a maximum of 4-5 pages, excluding the title page and the reference page. There should only be one small quote maximum in the paper. Citations should primarily include summary and restatement.
Criteria for Content
- Scholarliness: In this category, the student will conduct a search of the current databases and locate valid, relevant, and reliable information for the required topic. Each reference must be scholarly.
- Application of Course Knowledge: In this category, the student demonstrates the ability to analyze and apply principles, knowledge, and information learned in the course lesson and outside readings. This information is then applied to a real-life professional situation as an example.
- Interactive Dialogue: In this category, the minimum requirements are to provide an initial posting to the graded threaded discussion topic by Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT of each week. In addition, one peer response and one instructor response are required. These postings must be completed by Sunday, 11:59 pm MT of each week. The initial posting, peer response, and instructor response must be on 3 separate days.
- Grammar, Syntax, APA: Proper grammar, APA, and syntax is required for all posts. Students should follow the APA Manual 6th Edition. Additional APA information is available in Course Resources.
- Participation Requirement: One initial posting, one peer response and one instructor response (for a total of 3 posts for the week) are required on 3 separate days.
- Participation Deadline: The student must provide a substantive response to the graded threaded discussion topic. This must be posted by Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT of each week. Peer and instructor responses must be posted by Sunday, 11:59 pm MT.
- For week 8 only: the required postings are amended due to the shorter week. Two posts are required. One initial post and either a peer response or an instructor response. Initial post must be a minimum of 200 words and the peer or instructor response must be a minimum of 100 words. Both posts are required to be on two separate days. All posts must be made by Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT.
Criteria for Format and Special Instructions
- Instructor reserves the right to submit any threaded discussion posting to TurnItIn in order to verify the originality.
- When journals are used as the outside source of information, it is preferred that the journal be peer reviewed. The Chamberlain online librarian is very helpful in assisting you to find an article related to your topic. If you have questions concerning scholarly sources, please refer to the handout entitled “What is a scholarly source” located under “Course Resources” tab.
- Web sites vary in quality and scholarship. It is the responsibility of the student to determine the scholarly nature of the web site. If the instructor determines that the site failed to demonstrate scholarship, points maybe deducted. Students are cautioned to use care regarding .com sites. Some .com sites are excellent such as American Heart Association, but others are built by individuals and scholarliness is lacking. It is recommended that you check with your instructor before using a .com website as a reference.
- Only one small quote (15 words or less) within the entire initial posting is acceptable. It is expected that the student will paraphrase the information when presenting information from a scholarly source. The scholarly source(s) for the paraphrased information must be cited using APA format. Do not include a number of small quotes even if they are just a few words as your instructor considers a quote to be a quote no matter its limited size.